Ep. 025: How to Get Started with Blog Monetization
If you're trying to start a blog for the sole purpose of making money, stop right here. Do not pass "Go". Do not collect $200. That's not what this is. Blog monetization requires time and a LOT of work, but we will help you get there the right way. We share realistic and non-sleazy ways to earn money, including the use of ads and affiliate links, and how to create really great sponsored content.
HOW TO GET STARTED WITH BLOG MONETIZATION
- Blogging is NOT a get-rich-quick scheme, it's a "Get average results in due time" thing.
- To get started, sign up as an Amazon affiliate or an affiliate for other brands. You won't earn huge money, especially until you grow your blog, but you will earn a tiny bit here and there.
- Your affiliate disclosure has to be IN CLOSE PROXIMITY of your affiliate link. Basically, if you can see the disclosure and the link without scrolling, you're good to go.
- NOTE: You cannot use Amazon affiliate links in an email. This includes RSS feed emails.
- When using ads, just like everything else, use them in moderation. As a reader, ads have a tendency to disrupt the reader experience. Also, keep mobile in mind. More than 50% of readers are reading posts on mobile devices, so make sure that your ads are mobile-friendly.
- Look at your blog from a reader perspective, or get one of your friends to look at your blog, and get some honest feedback.
- When you put ads on your sidebar, you can actually create your own sidebar ads that link to your affiliate links.
- When working with brands, be sure to make it feel authentic, and weave a story into your sponsored posts.
- To get started, do "faux" sponsored posts where you write a post about a product as if you were given money, then share it with the brand. These can actually go on your media kit.
- You can then move on to blog networks like Social Fabric, Tap Influence, Clever, etc. to get partnered with brands. They help you get used to formatting sponsored posts.
- Don't be so proud that you refuse to work with a brand for product alone. Sometimes, that's the best way to get your foot in the door.
- If you don't talk about a product for free, don't talk about it for money.
- Create your own products to sell. If you create an ebook, pull a good chunk of content from your blog but add new stuff, too, to make it special.