Ep. 002: How to Create a Thriving Online Community
Amy Latta of One Artsy Mama has organically built an engaged community of readers who are more like close friends. In this episode, Amy shares tips to show you how to create a thriving online community for your blog or business.
HOW TO CREATE A THRIVING ONLINE COMMUNITY
- Amy started her blog, One Artsy Mama, out of the desire to make crafts with her son and share them with anyone who cared to read her blog. More than five years later, this blog is now her full-time business.
- Honesty is one key to being able to create a thriving online community, but with the right balance so you avoid over-sharing.
- Amy's love of coffee & disdain for early mornings connects her with her readers. Find what is uniquely you and share it.
- Amy's Facebook group, One Artsy Mama & Friends, was created in an effort to try to thwart the Facebook algorithm changes and get more eyes on her content while also having more control over what readers see. She shares how she fosters engagement so it's not a one-woman show.
- Amy's blog-famous kitty Flynn makes an appearance on the podcast to give his opinion on this whole community-building thing.
- Branding is more than fonts & logos - YOU are your brand. Amy's brand is known for a love affair with Starbuck's, her son Little Crafter, her kitty Flynn, and, of course, her humorous hand-lettered quotes.
- Amy's Instagram feed is not just for sharing blog posts. She gives her audience on Instagram what they love - coffee, humor, and hand-lettering. Her humorous quotes generate excellent engagement for her on Instagram.
- Community is also found in other bloggers, and having your tribe gives you support in a group of like-minded individuals.
- Engagement on Facebook pages is frustrating and can be tricky. Amy shares her secrets to help generate engagement, particularly planning content for her target audience, even if it's not her own content.
- A tip for bloggers frustrated with engagement: Keep trying until you find where your people are. It might not be on Facebook!
- Join One Artsy Mama & Friends to hang out with Amy, learn hand-lettering, and share your own projects.
- Download Amy's book, "A Hand-Lettered New Year", 31 Days of Reflections & Prompts.