Ep. 003: Creating a Blog Strategy That Converts
We are all guilty of filling our sidebars and adding widgets to our blogs haphazardly, when what we really need is a blog strategy. Krista Rae of KristaRae.co has a Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science and a Master's Degree in Software Engineering, so she knows a thing or two about a thing or two. Krista shares the importance of making your blog your hardest working employee by creating a blog strategy that converts.
CREATING A BLOG STRATEGY THAT CONVERTS
- Krista is a blog strategist & her blog is her hardest working employee. You'll quickly see why I called her the "Chip & Joanna Gaines of Wordpress".
- Bloggers need a blueprint, a blog strategy that converts - a detailed outline and plan of action for their website
- Everything on your blog should have a purpose. Consider your audience, not your peers.
- Three steps to a more purposeful blog: (1) Set high value (aka scary) goals. (2) Clean up your website to clear the clutter. (3) Fill in those now empty spaces with things that support your goals.
- Limit your sidebar to 3 or 4 things. Yes, really!
- Instead of adding your recommended products (affiliate links) to your sidebar, consider a resource guide as an email opt-in, or a resource library.
- Create paths for your audience to follow
- Make a list of your calls-to-action and rotate them through blog posts, rather than putting ALL THE THINGS in every post. A click-to-tweet is an easy call-to-action that you can put in every post.
- Krista uses her email to get more personal than she allows on her blog, and provides extra value and calls-to-action.
- Pay attention to analytics to be strategic with your page layout.
- Baby bloggers: Don't try to cram in all of your to-do's. Avoid overwhelm by focusing first on content, then learning about blogging consistently. Don't be afraid to grow & incorporate things slowly.
- Seasoned bloggers: Go deeper into audience paths. Create tiers of content.
- Cleaning up your blog cleans up your head space.
- Click HERE for Krista's Build Your Blog Blueprint course
- Click HERE for Krista's free 8-day course, Jumpstart Your Blog Blueprint
- Check out Lara Casey's Powersheets that I mentioned HERE