Ep. 079: Answering Q's From Our Community
This week we decided to hop into our Facebook group to respond publicly to some of the threads created by our community members. We talk about how important it is to just start, balancing business tasks with the desire to create, and building a business while working full-time.
FEAR OF PUTTING YOURSELF OUT THERE
Madeline is on the cusp of growth, and she's confident with her offerings, but she's scared to dive in.
- Mind over matter. Having the confidence to share your work is difficult, but necessary for growth.
- The worst thing that's going to happen is people will say "no" to your offer, but those aren't your people.
OVERWHELM WITH BUSINESS "STUFF"
JoAnn is frustrated with all the business 'stuff' that she feels she needs to do when she just wants to create things to sell.
- You NEED brand identity, a business account, a name for your business, and your policies.
- Don't get so bogged down in a million blog posts or resources telling you what you "need" to do. Just start.
- Make an organized list of all the things you actually need to do to get your business off the ground and set aside one day to get it all done.
SIDE HUSTLE WITH A 9-to-5
Listen to Erin's minisode, episode 078 (on iTunes or your podcast app of choice!). Jade commented in the group about how much that impacted her as she works to build a business while working a side hustle.
- Don't be afraid to work a part-time job as you build your business. There is no shame in working your way to business ownership.
- Don't be afraid to take work that doesn't light you up just to pay your bills. Handle your money situation so you don't have that stress.
- Tenacity is what separates the people who become business owners and those who don't.
MORE BUSINESS TIPS
PROJECT MANAGEMENT WEBSITES
There are many project management websites like Trello and Asana. Don't feel like you have to use one of those just because other people are using them. Find what works for you.
We're a Google kind of business. We use Google Drive and Google Calendar to handle and organize everything for our business and it works for us.
WRITTEN EMAIL OPT-INS
If you work trade shows or something similar where people sign up for your email list on a piece of paper, you have to keep that list somewhere as proof that you were given permission to add those people to your list.
You can, however, scan and upload the list onto your computer and save it there.
STREAMLINING WORKFLOWS AND PROCESSES
Don't feel like you have to use a million different platforms to make things work for you. Ericka needed to figure out how to get signups for a webinar, and then send webinar viewers to a scheduling page to schedule a call with her.
Rather than using 7 different platforms, keep it simple. YouTube Live is free and you can embed that into a page on your website. Under the video, you can then embed an Acuity scheduling tool. A simple landing page can redirect people to the webinar page as soon as they sign up!