Ep. 050: Make Your Clients Fall in Love With You
We're talking all about creating a positive client experience, from discovery calls and onboarding to overdelivering and follow-up. Make your clients fall in love with you because it's easier to retain a client than find a new one!
Erin is a coach and Kirsten offers services, so we deal with clients a bit differently, but we both work hard to create a positive client experience. Here are our tips: (some links are referral links)
- The client experience starts before any work gets done. As soon as someone contacts you, they become a lead. The way you treat your leads will give them a good idea of how the client experience will go.
- Make the process as seamless and smooth for the client as possible. Create a workflow that dictates how you communicate with your client, what docs are sent and when, how clients will schedule meetings, etc.
- Must-Haves: Invoicing and Contracts. Erin and Kirsten both recommend Dubsado, a powerful and affordable client management system. If you need to start with a free version, we recommend Invoicely.
- After the lead becomes a paying client, it's your time to shine. Try to overdeliver, finish projects early, and exceed expectations. Let your clients know you genuinely care about their success.
- Examples for improving the client experience: Use Voxer to allow clients to communicate between meetings; record virtual meetings and provide notes; prioritize client emails in your inbox and try to respond within 24 hours
- Client gifts are a nice way to say "thank you" for their business. Build the cost into your price, and make sure the gift reflects the level of service - higher priced services warrant higher quality gifts.
- Follow-up with your clients to ask for referrals and testimonials.
- Ultimately, you are friendly but not friends with your client so be sure to set the tone of a contracted service provider.
Tools we use and recommend (some links are referral links):
- Dubsado - client management platform; provides invoicing, canned emails, workflow, contracts, etc.
- Invoicely - invoicing
- Voxer - voice messaging
- Acuity - client scheduling with built-in invoicing and scheduling integrations
- Zoom - video conference calls with recording capabilities
- Loom - video recording built into Gmail inboxes
- Typeform - onboarding and/or follow-up questionnaires