Ep. 001: How to Create an Instagram Growth Strategy
Instagram is one of the most popular social media channels, but many users forget how to actually be social on this social network! Stephanie Gilbert, creator of Small Talk Social, talks all things Instagram, sharing tips for creating an Instagram growth strategy, and fostering engagement.
HOW TO CREATE AN INSTAGRAM GROWTH STRATEGY
- Stephanie's job with Urban Outfitters helped her create the business idea for Small Talk Social, a visual marketing and social media hub
- Stephanie created The Gram Gang to fill a need and build her email list, and it's more than just daily Instagram prompts. She teaches people how to create an Instagram growth strategy.
- Create content for Instagram when you are a product or service-based business that is more than your product or service
- It is possible to combine personal and business in one Instagram account, but it's a matter of personal preference. Remember to inject your personality into your business account because YOU are your brand.
- Your Instagram bio is 150 characters & you only get one link, so make it count. This means: Know your purpose.
- Use a call-to-action in your bio and consider changing it only every quarter, not everyday (like changing it to your current blog post URL each day)
- Strive for organic engagement. If you want engagement, you need to go out and engage.
- Create mood boards (Pinterest is great for that) to determine the style you want for your Instagram feed.
- Do NOT tag brands or other Instagram users just for the sake of promotion.
- Take and edit photos in bulk, for example, 1-2 weeks of content at a time. Then use scheduling tools like Hootsuite, Later, or Planoly (Kirsten's fave - affiliate link) to write captions, add hashtags, and schedule your feed.
- Stephanie's go-to editing app is VSCO and she takes most of her photos on her iPhone.
- Natural lighting is best when available.
- If you use props, be sure they make sense for your brand.
- Instagram captions can be a bit like microblogging - descriptive, thought-provoking, and can include calls-to-action.
- Generating revenue through your Instagram account is possible but should be done strategically. Focus on growing your email list through your Instagram account and use your emails to market blog posts, products, and services.
- Join The Gram Gang for FREE to connect with other IGers and get Stephanie's awesome daily Instagram prompts.
- Join The Hangout for as little as $10/month for even more valuable Instagram education including video content, printables, and a weekly chat with Stephanie and other community members.
- How to Style a Flat Lay on Instagram
- How to Write Captions for Instagram
- Stephanie's ebook "Get Visual" helps you created a branded and styled Instagram feed and is available for only $12, or FREE to members of The Hangout!