Ep. 005: Overcoming Blogger's Block
Blogger's block, also referred to as a creative block or a rut, is real and it's scary. You stare at the screen trying to pump out a blog post but you're just stuck! Lynn White offers real steps you can take to overcome blogger's block, and it starts with acknowledging that it's going to happen, so be prepared!
OVERCOMING BLOGGER'S BLOCK
- People deal with a rut but don't like to acknowledge it.
- Lynn deals with her own creative blocks by walking away, doing something else, and reminds us not to beat ourselves up.
- Blocks can make you feel like a failure, so close down and do something unrelated. Lynn likes to cook, call a girlfriend to chat, or take a walk. The key is to step outside of the work environment.
- Working at home makes it difficult to separate work from home. Having designated office hours helps. Also, when choosing your get-out-of-the-rut activity, don't do household chores; do something you actually enjoy.
- You will get inspired while out & about so be ready with a notebook or your phone notes app.
- Keep a running list of ideas. Maintain an editorial calendar. Batch write.
- Talk to yourself and record your thoughts for listening later.
- Don't think for your readers. Don't assume they know something. Write it anyway.
- Find out what your readers actually want from you: Do a Q&A post, repurpose content.
- Women in particular feel obligated even if we don't love what we're doing.
- Try other formats of content - video, audio, etc.
- Reach out to other people to collaborate or share guest posts.
- I share my process for writing content and social posts to alleviate the stress of needing a post RIGHT NOW.
- Portent's Content Idea Generator: Pop in your topic and this tool will give you blog topics with just the hit of the enter button on your keyboard.
- Answer the Public: Enter your topic, choose your country and this tool will give you tons of questions related to that topic. You can use any one of these questions to answer in a blog!