Ep. 022: How to Prepare for a Blog Conference
'Tis the season for blog conferences! Whether it's your first blog conference or fifteenth, we've got some great tips on how to prepare for a blog conference, like what to pack, how to dress (it's probably not what you think), and what the speakers are really thinking. No go out and conquer the conference armed with your newfound knowledge!
HOW TO PREPARE FOR A BLOG CONFERENCE
- Know your capacity for groups of people. If you can't handle large groups of people for several days, look for smaller conferences or retreats.
- You need to establish a budget, and take into consideration the cost of the conference ticket + travel expenses + hotel + food, and any other expenses like new business cards, clothing, etc.
- Add to your conference budget at least one dinner out with your friends.
- Know why you're going: Networking time with friends, networking time with brands, or education. It's impossible to do all of these things without exhausting yourself, or short-changing your experience.
- Pay attention to the structure of the conference. Some conferences have multiple sessions in the same time slot.
- Let's talk business cards: blogger's business cards are like the Pokemon trading cards at conferences. It's up to you if you decided to bring them. As a speaker, I bring them. If I'm trying to connect with brands, I bring them. Otherwise, I don't feel the need to bring them.
- Create a 4" x 6" media kit with photos of your best blog posts, your social media links, and your head shot.
- Make sure your head shot on your blog is current so people can recognize you when they meet you in person.
- Things to pack: notebook, pens/pencils, laptop, phone, and chargers. Don't count on being able to get online.
- Etiquette: Be conscious of your speaker. Don't stand up in the middle of the session unless it's an emergency. Also, DO NOT TALK during a session. You disrupt the speaker & the other attendees.
- Finally, please go talk to people! Bring new people into your circle and make new friends.
- Take a little gift for your roommate. Something simple like hand sanitizer, lotion, notepads, pens, candy, etc.
- Pack carefully if you know there will be swag bags! You'll get a ton of free stuff at the larger conferences, so pack accordingly so you can take it all home.
- Register for Blog Life University & use my name (Kirsten Thompson) as the promo code to get $50 off!
- Visit Home Grown Bloggers to learn more about future retreats
- How to Get Started with Networking Events - podcast with Lauren Caselli
- And, to see my sweet Daisy Mae, GO HERE. You're welcome.