How to Set Up the Yoast SEO Plugin
In this week’s 5 Minute Fix I'm going to show you how to set up the Yoast SEO plugin.
HOW TO SET UP THE YOAST SEO PLUGIN
The Yoast SEO plugin for self-hosted Wordpress is a powerful tool that helps you improve your website's SEO. There's more to Yoast than just installing it on your blog, though.
This tutorial shows you how to set up the plugin and use it on blog posts and pages.
After installing and activating the free Yoast SEO plugin:
- Dashboard: add your website name and your name in the settings
- Titles & Metas: set up how your blog post titles will look in a Google search, including the title separator
- Social: put links to your social media platforms, enable Facebook's open graph metadata, and upload your logo to the Facebook tab
- XML Sitemaps: Learn how to set up XML Sitemaps in Yoast HERE
After setting up the Yoast SEO plugin, go to any post or page, scroll down to the Yoast SEO box under the text editor, and fill in the information.
- You'll see what your post title will look like in search results, as well as the meta description.
- Add the focus keyword for your post or page in the designated box.
- Click "edit snippet" and write a custom meta description that includes your focus keyword.
- Use the list of suggestions to improve your overall SEO score
Remember, the Yoast SEO plugin is a tool, not a human, so it can make mistakes. If you feel like your post is optimized as best as you can optimize it, and you've formatted it for a positive user experience, but Yoast isn't giving you a green light, it's OK. Use your best judgment.